Fact: as much as 90% of office waste could be recycled or composted.
Implementing a workplace waste diversion plan isn’t just a feel-good environmental thing. It’s also a smart business move that can reduce costs and foster team spirit.
Paper, paper, read all about it!
Whatever happened to the paperless office that was predicted decades ago?
Paper is by far the largest source of office waste. In fact, the average office worker produces roughly two pounds of waste paper every day — that’s about 10,000 sheets per year.
And here’s the kicker: around 30% of printed jobs aren’t even picked up at the printing machine, and almost half of all printed material ends up in the trash at the end of the day. That’s a lot of wasted paper and a lot of dead trees.
So, paper use is one policy where you can really reduce consumption – and, with it, your office supply budget and garbage disposal costs.
Do you really need to print out that email or memo? If you do, choose the double-sided printing option whenever possible.
Make sure your waste diversion plan provides for dedicated paper-recycling bins beside each printer and copier, as well as near everyone’s desks.
And don’t forget to opt for recycled paper products when you’re doing the purchasing.
Did you know? Waste paper can be recycled 5 to 7 times and be used for many other useful things like toilet paper and paper towels.
Mountains of plastic
According to Canadian watchdog organization Environmental Defence, only 11% of plastic waste is recycled each year in Canada. The other 89% is either incinerated or ends up in landfills, waterways and parks, leeching toxins into the air and water, and killing wildlife.
Instead of supplying water in single-use plastic bottles, how about installing a water cooler? Providing reusable mugs and glasses will cut down on plastic waste dramatically, and actually reduce purchasing and waste management costs.
And we probably don’t need to tell you, but Styrofoam cups are especially problematic. You should avoid using them altogether.
Another way to reduce waste at work is to recycle compostable materials. These include food scraps, coffee grinds, tea bags, napkins, paper towels, and even cardboard sleeves from hot drink cups. As most of your employees will already be using a green bin at home, you’ll likely get 100% compliance in your staff kitchen.
Did you know? When compostable material is processed it can be used to enrich mineral-deficient farm land and even produce power.
Many hands make right work
When everyone at work does his or her bit to reduce, reuse or recycle waste, it can bring the team together and encourage a positive attitude toward your organization, the environment and the customers you serve.
Does your organization have a waste diversion plan? If not, get in touch with us. We can help you establish and meet your sustainability goals.
At Allcare we care about clean – and creating a sustainable future.